I Finished!



It seems like a long time ago now, but I did finish and was absolutely ruined afterwards!  In fact 2/3rds of the event went to plan, the swim was tough though.  It was my first real swim in my wetsuit and the breathing was really hard, I finished the swim dead last in my wave and feeling pretty miserable.  If it wasn't for the fact that I was already half way out into the lake taking a rest may have been the option.  But a little mental toughness got me through to finish the swim and T1 in 17:07.

After the not too speedy transition I settled onto the bike to be passed by the race leaders absolutely flying past on their 2nd lap. At one point their was people overtaking me on both sides simultaneously, which I was none too pleased about.  After the first couple of minutes nobody was passing me and I was relatively pleased with my pace.  That was until I hit the first obstacle a deceptively big pyramid to roll over (5ft?) and nobody to follow to show the best way.  I hammered the pedals to make sure I got over and nearly overcooked it, going so fast I nearly hit thee right turn sign on the other side.  Into the second lap I sighted another straggler and gradually made up the 200m he was ahead, it was a big help to have someone to aim at. I finished the bike in 36:07.

With the bike finished I got into my running shoes and exited ransition a few seconds behind the samerguy (no SPD's) and made it up to him in quick time, but didn't have too much left for the 5K run, we settled into a decent pace and ran together the whole way round.  To have someone to talk to and some motivation was great.  He was running for leukaemia research and had suffered ankle ligament injury in his training (if only I had a good excuse...............).  He was great help though, maybe I'll see him next year.

I finished the run in 29:14 and promptly devoured every sports energy/recovery drink i could find, very tired, but very happy.

Now whats next .......................

Posted in |

0 comments: